On this day in 1665 New Amsterdam was renamed New York and the first mayor was appointed after the English took control of the city from the Dutch. In 1625 the Dutch built Fort Amsterdam on the southern tip of Manahatta, a name that means “hilly island” in the Algonquin language of the Lenape Indians. The fort was built as a place of refuge for Dutch colonists. Eventually the Dutch built a wall across lower Manahatta as protection against Indians and the British army. Today the wall is gone but Wall Street runs east-west across lower Manhattan Island where the wall once stood. The city was renamed New York to honor the Duke of York who would become King James II.
Michael E. Palmer is a writer and photographer based in Alabama.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org