On this day in 1929 Denny Chimes was dedicated on the University of Alabama Campus in Tuscaloosa. The 115-foot-tall bell tower was erected to honor George H. Denny, the 15th president of the university. Denny served from 1912 to 1936 and as interim president from 1941-1942. Denny Chimes was built with funds raised by the student body after a rumor spread that Denny was considering leaving the university. The students thought building the Chimes in his honor would convince him to stay. Skinner, Maxwell and Company built the chimes at a cost of $40,000. The chimes ring on the hour and every quarter hour. For more about the life of George H. Denny see “From Civil War Battle Fields to Football Fields."
Michael E. Palmer is a writer and photographer based in Alabama.
He can be reached at email@example.com